[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

DOS and Macro Virus Discussion

At 03:09 PM 8/16/96 -0500, Scott Sesher wrote:

>> You seem to have a slightly negative attitude.  This will of course, fix the
>> problem.  Would you expect Microsoft to 'fix' DOS since viruses can be
>> transmitted via DOS executables?  You can either use the tool and accept the
>> possible problems, or lack the functionality and deal with it.  Seems pretty
>> simple.
>>
>> Ben Camp
>>

>Yes I would "expect Microsoft to 'fix' DOS", if they cared anything
>about something other than _their_ bottom line.  Imagine how many
>millions (dollars/man hours) could have been saved if they had.  I
>bet we have spent more (dollars/man hours) in the last few years here,
>dealing with viruses, than Bill and his boys on its initial development.
>
>I think what people are saying here is "look there is a problem, let's
>see what we can do to fix it" or at least call attention to it some
>(Microsoft) can fix it, before it's on the majority of desktops.  Maybe
>we can avert a second "virus" like episode.
>
>					  - sas

Sorry about the last message.

No offense, but you must have a brain hemorrhage if you think that the
Operating System should receive any blame for viruses written to its API.
If you think that you are smart and have a low opinion of the operating
system, then wouldn't you be qualify as an idiot for running it?

A virus is just another program, and the operating system should not care
what is run on it.  DOS manages almost nothing, and it is insane to believe
it should prevent viruses.  Do you know how many people would freak out if
every time a program read from the MBR a screen popped up and said "WHOAH!
YOU MIGHT HAVE A VIRUS!!".  People should excercise more caution in
downloading programs and copying floppies if they sincerely care about
viruses.

DOS is a single user operating system, which was not designed for security.
DOS is small, simple, and allows the programs themselves to do what they
want.  The roadwork for DOS is set, its absurd to believe that anyone would
abandon their 100 howevermany million customers by adding restriction and
protection to system resources.  This would render most DOS applications
useless.

And what would you hope to solve?  The 1st meg of memory is unprotected even
in protected mode!

Do you really think that you could write a Windows 95 virus?  Undoubtedly
not.  Since you're the genious, maybe you'd like to explain how?  I know of
a couple ways to get it to work correctly.

How would you feel if some new version of DOS called your program a virus
and you lost millions of dollars?

Ben